A blog devoted to Richard Bordwell and Michael Bordwell. Two wood carving artisans known as The Whittler and Chip.

Friday, July 21, 2023

A Caricature, A Shoe, & More

 I've been really slacking on updating this site and I'm falling behind.  I'd like to start by thanking Myron from Montana for contacting me about some of his collection.  He was also kind enough to sent some to me. So a huge thank you for that.

My father use to carve these greatly exaggerated cowboy caricatures.  While I remember seeing them when I was young I haven't laid eye on any forever until Myron  sent this one my way.  It's named "The Salesman" and is his typical bow legged, bug eyed cowboy I remember.  He would carve them and then paint them with oil paints which seems to be holding up really well after all these years.


The show was one created by my grandfather back in 1968.  Even has a wooden description label which I've never seen before but definitely in my grandfather's handwriting.  

The last two pieces are Br'er Bear and Br'er Rabbit from the Disney film Song of the South. They have no signature which is strange and I don't recall my father or grandfather ever doing them.  I asked my mother about them as well and she doesn't recall them.  However Myron is certain they were made by them.

I'll try to get some better pics of them and post in the future.  Thanks again Myron.

No comments:

Post a Comment