A blog devoted to Richard Bordwell and Michael Bordwell. Two wood carving artisans known as The Whittler and Chip.

Monday, November 14, 2016

The Totem Poles

In the early 70s before the politically correct concerns Richard and Mike were hired to create totem poles.  I wish I knew more information regarding the hows and whys these were ordered.  I'm no expert on Native American history but It seems odd to me that places in the midwest wanted totem poles when I believe totem poles were mainly created by the Native Americans tribes of the pacific northwest.

Totem Pole at Iowa State Fair
The largest of the two stood in Des Moines Iowa at the Iowa State Fairgrounds and remained there until 2005 when it was taken down due to rot I was told.  Apparently it was cut up and they claim it was given to the families of the people hauled it there?  Kind of a strange choice.  I've also heard the pieces are sitting in a building somewhere.  At this point I don't know.  I contacted the Iowa State Fair and they were kind enough to send me this picture and said they would send more if they found any.

The other totem pole is standing in the parking lot of the Landmark restaurant in Williamsburg Iowa off interstate 80.  It is considerably smaller than the one at the fair but seems to be of similar quality and I think would still look pretty good if it was properly maintained.  The restaurant is now attached to a Casey's gas station and and seems to have fallen into disrepair.

I really thought I had a picture or a newspaper article of them working on it but could not locate it.  If any more information or pictures are recovered I'll be sure to update the post.

 
From My Cousin Bryan Rodman

UPDATE: The Iowa State Fair was kind enough search for more great picture of the totem pole and sent me what they found.  Thanks everyone!

 



5 comments:

  1. I have a 10'tall totem pole carved by Dick Bordwell in 1961 I have the original sales agreement that states it was carved in exchange for rent I also have many pictures and news articles about it that I would like to share feel free to contact me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across this and will give you some additional information. The Fair totem pole was taken down in 2005 due to it's rotting. I did take most of what was salvageable and put it on my property. My grandfather was the fair manager at the time and had it commissioned as part of the Heritage themes, a tribute to America's Native American's pre 19th century. My grandmother was still alive in 2005 and contacted the fair when she learned of it's removal. They were going to dispose of it until I agreed to take it. It did have to be cut up in order to transport it off the grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      My name is Martha Dalke Hindman. I am interested in your information about the Iowa State Totem Pole. I am the author of The Dragon of Yankee Fork, which has the story of the State Totem Pole. I have been in contact with two of the gentlemen who live in Idaho who have first hand knowledge of the White Pine log and the two Red Cedar logs which came on that same load from Idaho to Iowa. The wings of the Thunderbird at the top of the Totem Pole are secured to the East Wall of the Maintenance building at the Iowa State Fair grounds. If you would like more information, please contact me at martha20022@gmail.com. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. My brother helped Dick and Mike with the totem pole. I can look to see if I have any pictures of them actually carving on it.

    ReplyDelete